It is recommended to update the firmware of the K1 to the latest version to ensure the best experience possible. There are 2 ways to update the firmware:
Updating the firmware manually using a SD Card:
- Download the firmware file (.zip format) from this page: https://removu.com/firmware-k1/
- Unzip/extract the zip file which contains the firmware file(s).
- Connect the SD Card to the computer.
- Drag and drop the “camera_update.bin” and “gimbal_update.bin”** file directly to the SD card. Make sure the file is not located inside of any other folder (commonly referred as “root directory”).
- Insert the SD card into the SD card slot on the K1 while the it is powered off.
- Power on the K1 to start the firmware update process.
- The system will start to upgrade automatically. (It takes around 1-3 minutes or so.)
- Check the firmware version after the upgrade by going to “Menu > Camera Settings > Information”.
Updating the firmware using the K1 app:
- Ensure the SD Card is already installed with the K1.
- Connect the K1 with the iOS/Android using the Wi-Fi broadcast from the K1.
- Go to the app settings and locate the firmware update option. Proceed to firmware update.
- Select a different Wi-Fi connection that has internet connection or turn off the Wi-Fi connection to use the mobile network, then go back to the app and tap "CHECK".
- If there's any firmware update needed, the K1 app will download the necessary file while it is on the internet.
- Reconnect to the K1 Wi-Fi connection and proceed to update the app.
Important notice: As soon as the K1 finished updating the firmware, the gimbal needs to be calibrated. If you are not too certain, please visit the following page: https://removu.zendesk.com/hc/en-us/articles/360033986853-When-and-how-do-I-calibrate-the-K1-
If the update fails, please start over since in some cases updates may take several attempt to be fully loaded to the unit. If the update keeps failing after 5 tries, please contact support: https://removu.zendesk.com/hc/en-us/requests/new
** It is normal for the "gimbal_update.bin" file have 1kb capacity or less since this is a trigger file for the K1 to push the gimbal firmware that is pre-packed in the "camera_update.bin" file.